Pioneering synth designer Wolfgang Palm has announced that he’s bringing his PPG Phonem vocal synthesizer to the iPad.
Palm says that they have optimized the Phonem sound engine for the iPad and adapted it to make the best use of multi-touch control . It also offers Inter-App Audio and the ability to run as an Audio Unit Extension.
Here’s the official video intro:
Here’s a demo of three instances running at once:
Here’s what he has to say about Phonem:
PPG Phonem lets the user create expressive vocal synthesis beyond anything ever heard before. With its advanced routing system every aspect of the voice can be controlled and modulated in any conceivable way. Anything from a quiet whisper to a scream. Use the intuitive text to speech tool to make Phonem say whatever you want.
Although the PPG Phonem was originally designed to do just vocal synthesis, it turned out that the system was also capable of producing a wide range of universal synthsizer sounds. So we extended the parameter ranges and made everything accessible to the user, to take advantage of this fact.
The human voice is a very complex system, which can produce a wide range of sounds. It is however restricted by natural physical dimensions. Phonem does not impose limits, letting you create all the filter configurations and sweeps you could only ever have dreamed of.
- Create your own singing style and expressions
- Large Phoneme inventory – 46 english/american plus 5 german plus 4 french phonemes
- Versatile excitation generator/oscillator
- Working with typical voice source or wavetable and time-corrected-samples (TCS)
- Extreme time stretching, freezing and reversing
- Pitch track – let your robots sing
- Control track – let it cry and shout
- Song mode – making it easy to compose your synthesized text
- Wave page – create your own wavetables and modify time-corrected-samples
- Import WTS and TCS files from the iPad WaveGenerator and WaveMapper
- All internal parameters available to the user – give your voices a special dialect or individual character
- Versatile matrix system – allowing 19 sources to control 40 parameters
- Two X/Y control pads freely routable to 40 parameters
- 6 Envelopes, for control of filter sweeps, waveform, noise and many modulations
- 4 LFOs plus Vibrato, Flutter and Growl generators
- Fully programmable resonator filter – allowing production of new sound effects
- Delay/Reverb effect
- Overdrive/Distortion effect
- A/B compare your edited sounds
- AU extension – run multiple Phonem instances in AU hosts
- IAA – inter-app audio support
- Audiobus 2 with statesaving
- 10 min audio recording and Audio copy
- Redesigned browser with new listing filters
- Directly accessible context help for each module
- Freely configurable schematic keypad, with extremely expressive modulation options
- 4 Keypads play modes: Poly, Mono, Legato and Multitrigger.
- 4 MIDI modes: Poly, Mono, Legato and Voice-Per-Channel.
Pricing and Availability
Palm says that PPG Phonem will be available ‘soon’. Pricing is TBA.