Retronyms and AKAI have released iMPC Pro 2 – a major update that adds new track types, support for Audio Units, extended MIDI support and the ability to create complete songs – essentially turning the app into a mobile DAW.
“This evolves the mobile beatmaking app concept into a more complete song creation tool,” says Retronyms co-founder JP Walton. “It has synchrony with what Akai has been working on with MPC desktop and their hardware as well.”
Here are some of the key new features in iMPC Pro 2:
- Audio Tracks: Within the audio tracks, you can time warp, pitch shift, and rearrange your audio clips in real time. You can choose from multiple input sources to record, including external mic channels, hardware audio interfaces, and IAA. Import existing projects from iMPC Pro and add your vocal tracks easily.
- Audio Unit Tracks: You can now load any Audio Units instrument into an Audio Unit Track. Control your AU instrument with a classic piano keyboard interface and an iMPC interface with note variation, Flux Link, Note Repeat, 16 Levels, and more. The app also features an improvement to the workflow for song creation. Song sequencing is faster, more powerful, and more flexible.
- New Sound Kits – Each kit includes 16 samples, featuring sounds from 808’s to melodic hits and stabs. iMPC Pro 2 also comes with 5 additional Sound Packs: Essential Club Collection, Classic Cuts, Dub 2 DnB, Melodic Collection, and The Diploma.
- Audio track recording (record from built-in mic, external mics, audio interfaces, etc.)
- Real-time time-stretching and pitch-shifting (warp tracks and clips to match tempo)
- Ableton Link and Inter-App Audio (IAA) support
- 64-track mixer with EQ and 4 FX sends (Reverb, Delay, Chorus/Flange and one IAA effect)
- Redesigned user interface
- Audio Unit plug-in support
- AudioCopy and AudioPaste support
- Directly upload tracks to YouTube
- Sample audio directly from music player apps such as Spotify
- New Song Mode makes full song production more intuitive than ever
- 100% new sound set, with five additional free Sound Packs
- Advanced waveform editing
- Enhanced MIDI support
- 4 Mute Groups
- Extensive undo/redo capabilities
Pricing and Availability
iMPC Pro 2 is available now on The App Store for $24.99. Existing iMPC pro users can upgrade to iMPC Pro 2 for $15.