At SynthPlex 2019, 1010music introduced Blackbox – a standalone, touchscreen sampling music workstation. We talked with designer Aaron Higgins, who gave us an overview of Blackbox.
Blackbox is a portable sampler and groovebox that lets you record, save/load, apply effects and edit one-shot samples and beat-sliced loops. You can create sequences with samples by tapping on pads, playing a virtual keyboard, using external MIDI controllers or by drawing-in notes using a standard Piano Roll editor on a touchscreen interface.
Sequences can be played back to create song sections and entire compositions. You can finish your song by mixing it, adding stereo effects.
You can record hours of song ideas, jam sessions, and performances thanks to a microSD slot that enables you to expand internal memory.
Blackbox comes with gigabytes of premium samples and loops by SoundTrack Loops and Loopmasters to let you start making beats right out of the …box. Here’s an intro from SoundTrack Loops’ Jason Donnelly:
- Record/edit samples and sequences to create songs via a fast, intuitive touchscreen interface.
- Expandable microSD memory slot for importing WAVs, hours of audio recording/playback time and saving samples and Presets.
- Combine loops with different tempos using built-in BPM synchronization and beat-slicing.
- Play one-shot samples and loops from pads and/or a virtual keyboard.
- Create and edit sequences using a standard Piano Roll interface.
- Connect external hardware via USB to expand performance and control capabilities.
- Make music anywhere thanks to a compact and nearly indestructible design.
- Includes a sound library of beat packs with loops and one-shots by SoundTrack Loops and Loopmasters.
- Input/output connectors to easily integrate with other studio and live sound tools: MIDI IO and Clock via USB and TRS, one 1/8” Audio In, three 1/8” Audio Outs plus a 1/8” Headphone/Stereo Output and USB power.
Pricing and Availability
Blackbox is available in limited quantities now for US $599. Full production units are expected in May 2019.