The Moogseum – a project of The Bob Moog Foundation – opens today, May 23, 2019 in Asheville, NC. The date would have been Bob Moog’s 85th birthday.
The Foundation describes the Moogseum as “an incredible educational museum in Bob Moog’s honor, with access to parts of their archive, interactive timelines, early equipment and more!”
The Moogseum will include:
- An Interactive Timeline of Bob Moog’s life and work, including personal documents that lend great insight into his thinking. Over 700 archival items will be accessible through the timeline’s touchscreen kiosks.
- The story of Leon Theremin and his seminal invention, the theremin, both inspirational forces in Moog’s life and work (three of Bob’s rare, early theremins will also be on display) which will lead to a bay of interactive theremins, providing easy instruction on how to play the theremin and understanding waveforms.
- The “How Electricity Becomes Sound” immersive visualization dome invites guests to step inside a circuit board and trace electricity as it evolves into sound, delving into the very heart of Moog’s work in sound synthesis.
- A re-creation of Bob Moog’s workbench, and an exhibit on modular synthesis, featuring a legendary modular that includes prototype modules from the late 60’s.
- The one-of-a-kind “History of Synthesis” Interactive Timeline honors 34 historical and contemporary developments in the field, bringing many fascinating but little-known instruments to life and giving a context to Moog’s work.
- The Learning Synthesis exhibit provides a hands-on, immersive opportunity into the basics of sound synthesis for the novice and advanced learner.
Here’s their official preview video:
Foundation Executive Director Michelle Moog-Koussa is featured in an Asheville FM interview about the Moogseum:
The Moogseum will be open every day from 11am-5pm, except Sundays and Tuesdays. You can call 828-258-1262 for more information.
The Moogseum is a project of The Bob Moog Foundation, an independent 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization. They are not associated with the manufacturer Moog Music, nor do they receive financial support from them. The Foundation is supported by donors. See the Foundation site for more information.