1010music let us know that they are now shipping Blackbox, their new, standalone sampling music workstation.
The Blackbox is a standalone sampler and groovebox that lets you record, save/load, apply effects and edit one-shot samples and beat-sliced loops.
You can record hours of audio and loops, and then record sequences by tapping on pads, playing a virtual keyboard or by playing an external MIDI controller. You can also create notes using the Piano Roll editor and touchscreen interface.
Sequences can be chained together to create songs. You can mix your arrangement using built-in stereo effects. And you can save sounds, sequences and songs as Presets for easy recall.
Blackbox is designed to compact and rugged for using on-the-go, but can also integrate with your studio gear, with MIDI I/O and Clock via USB and TRS, an audio input, three audio outputs, plus a Headphone/Stereo Output.
The microSD slot lets you expand memory to record up to hours of songs, jams, and performances. And Blackbox comes with gigabytes of premium samples and loops by SoundTrack Loops and Loopmasters.
Blackbox was introduced earlier this year at SynthPlex 2019, where designer Aaron Higgins gave us a quick intro:
- Record/edit samples and sequences to create songs via a fast, intuitive touchscreen interface.
- Expandable microSD memory slot for importing WAVs, hours of audio recording/playback time and saving samples and Presets.
- Combine loops with different tempos using built-in BPM synchronization and beat-slicing.
- Play one-shot samples and loops from pads and/or a virtual keyboard.
- Create and edit sequences using a standard Piano Roll interface.
- Connect external hardware via USB to expand performance and control capabilities.
- Compact and “nearly indestructible” design.
- Sound library of beat packs with loops and one-shots by SoundTrack Loops and Loopmasters.
- Input/output connectors to easily integrate with other studio and live sound tools: MIDI IO and Clock via USB and TRS, one 1/8” Audio In, three 1/8” Audio Outs plus a 1/8” Headphone/Stereo Output and USB power.
Here’s an overview from Jason Donnelly of Soundtrack Loops, who helped create the Blackbox sound library:
Pricing and Availability
Blackbox is available immediately in the U.S. from 1010music and resellers, for $599 USD, and is expected to be available world-wide by 6/15/2019.