WMD has released Crater – an analog/digital hybrid bass drum that they say ‘plays as hard as it kicks,’ and goes beyond cloning analog kick drums of the past.
“We live in the age of the clones,” notes creator William Mathewson. “Every week, a new version of a classic instrument hits the market and while this is getting some highly sought-after instruments in the hands of real musicians and enthusiasts, innovation seems to be suffering.”
“Why not take influence from the past, knowledge from experience, and mix those with modern technology to create something that gives you the sound you’re looking for without the need for layering or heavy post-production. That was the goal we had when designing Crater,” he adds.
- Analog, triangle core oscillator
- Pitch envelope for 909 like attacks
- Sustain function allows for sequencing with gates as well as triggers
- 1V/Oct Pitch tracking
- 3 different styles of clipping
- Continuous Saturation Input for dialing in the perfect amount of analog grit.
- Extra long VCA envelope for big bass booms
- Digital “attack” section for that polished, layered sound
- “Click Decay” control for some acoustic flavor
WMD Crater Eurorack Bass Drum Audio Demo:
Pricing and Availability
The WMD Crater is available now for $299 USD.