At the 2020 NAMM Show, Artiphon introduced the Orba instrument and MIDI controller.
Orba is a $99 portable synthesizer, looper, and MIDI controller that’s designed to let anyone to make music immediately. They describe its minimalist design as “a cross between a gaming controller and half an orange,”.
Here’s a quick demo from Artiphon founder Mike Butera, who shows how it can be used as a synth, a sequencer, a looper and more.
Artiphon Orba Features:
- Eight capacitive-sensing pads for feather-touch control
- Accelerometer and gyroscope capture a range of gestures
- Center menu button accesses four presets, the looper, and other functions
- Onboard synthesizer and built-in speaker offer an immediate playing experience
- Connect to the cross-platform Orba app for more sounds, songs, and settings
- Use MIDI over Bluetooth or USB to plug into any of your favorite music apps
- Use the 1/8? (3.5mm) output to listen on headphones, speakers, and amps
- Multicolor LEDs respond to the way you play
- Embedded haptics offer vibration feedback
- USB Rechargeable battery
Pricing and Availability
Production of the Orba is being funded via a successful Kickstarter campaign; 12,377 backers pledged $1,442,181.
The Orba is expected to be available soon for about $100. See the Artiphon website for more information.