Waldorf has officially introduced the Iridium synthesizer, a new desktop synth design that shares many of the features of their flagship Quantum synthesizer, plus some added extras.
The Waldorf Iridium is a 16-voice duo-timbral polyphonic synthesizer. Each voice features three oscillators, which can be any of five different oscillator types, dual stereo digital filters and a wide range of performance controls.
The Iridium offers twice the polyphony of the Quantum, but offers digital filters vs the Quantum’s analog filters.
The Iridium also offers a wide range of connectivity options, including dual inputs and outputs, DIN MIDI, USB MIDI, USB Host support, a MicroSD slot & 8 cv/gate connections.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
“The mighty synth engine from Quantum is now available in a compact form. Tracing the footsteps of its bigger brother, Iridium features all the synthesis elements of Quantum as well in a rack-compatible format. The combination of the powerful engine, incredible flexibility and detailed sound shaping facilities creates sheer endless possibilities of sound.
Yet, the comprehensive layout and easy-to-understand structure lets you design your own sounds in no time. Sporting a solid metal casing and the same high level of craftsmanship like Quantum, Iridium is now ready to take over studios and stages throughout the world.”
Iridium features three digital filters per voice. Two in the Dual Filter section and another one in the Digital Former. Several types are available to choose from:
- 12 or 24dB and Lowpass/Highpass/Bandpass with optional saturation or dirtiness.
- Various filter models are available including those from Waldorf Nave, Largo and PPG 3V.
- The Dual Filter section can be controlled independently or together in several different link modes.
- The Digital Former offers all the filter types and models from the Dual Filter plus unusual models like Comb, Drive, Bitcrusher and more in addition.
- 16-voice polyphony, duo-timbral
- Compatible with the Waldorf Quantum synth engine
- Waveform (VA)
- Particle (Sampling and Granular Sampling)
- Kernels (up to 6 sub-oscillators which can be interlinked through FM at audio rate)
3 Stereo Filters per voice
True stereo path
Dual Digital Filter:
- Two filters with independable modes
- 12/24dB LP/HP/BP in all combinations
- Nave, Largo, PPG, Quantum and StateVariable models
- Filter models from Waldorf Nave, Largo and PPG in HP/LP/BP/Notch
- Comb filter
- StateVariable mode
- Analyzer displayed in Filter view
- Filter curve moves when modulated (optional)
- Sophisticated filter routing options with modulatable panning and levels
- 6 Envelopes
- 6 LFOs
- Komplex Modulator (LFO/Envelope combination with user-definable shape)
- 40 slots
- Fast assign mode
- One additional control amount per slot
- Identical Sources and Destinations can be used multiple times until the matrix is full
- 4×4 silicon pad matrix with RGB backlights
- Pads can play notes, chords, arpeggios and sequences
- Latch mode
- Step sequencer with up to 32 steps for notes and parameters
- Favorites screen for quick patch recall
- Onscreen Mod Wheel, Pitch Bend and Aftertouch
- Industrial-grade highly responsive touch screen
- Over 1000 factory sounds
- Capacity of 7000 patch memory slots (numbers 0000-9999 can be used)
- Patches from Quantum can be loaded and vice-versa
- Category filter for patch list
- 2GB user sample flash memory
- 2x TS output
- 2x TS input
- Headphones output with Gain control
- DIN MIDI In/Out/Thru
- USB MIDI
- USB host for storage and MIDI devices
- MicroSD slot
- Kensington lock
- 4 CV inputs plus Gate In, Trigger In, Clock In, Clock Out
- Inputs can be used as modulation sources in the Mod Matrix
- Sturdy metal case with aluminum knobs
- Dimensions: 440mm wide by 305mm depth by 85mm height (including controls)
- Weight: 5.4kg
- 19″ rack assembly parts available in near future
- MSRP: 1960€ (not including taxes)
Pricing and Availability
The Iridium Synthesizer is available now for €1,960.00 EUR (excluding tax).