UK-based ODDSound, in collaboration with Aphex Twin (Richard D. James) have introduced MTS-ESP, a new plugin designed to make it easier to work with microtuning.
They say that MTS-ESP sets notes completely free and “challenges the dominance of western tuning, giving global cultures tools to compose in traditional local tunings, whilst extending the possibilities for all.”
MTS-ESP builds on the work of Robert Rich and Carter Scholz in creating the MIDI Tuning Standard (MTS). While MTS has been around since 1992, it’s never been ubiquitously supported, and is only now becoming more common in synthesizers.
The MTS-ESP Suite provides an intuitive toolkit for creating microtonal music, letting you create new tunings and control the tuning of all of your synths.
- Import and export .scl, .kbm and .tun tuning and mapping files
- Create new tuning systems, manually and algorithmically
- Control the tuning of your whole studio from within a single plugin
- Retune any plugin or MIDI device with either MTS-ESP, MPE, MTS SysEx or MIDI pitch bend
- Automate tuning changes across all plugins and MIDI devices
- Visualize and compare tuning systems
- Convert compositions from one tuning system to another
- Create subset scales by analysing MIDI to only include used notes
- Use a Novation Launchpad as a microtonal keyboard and chord player
- Create tunings by ear and tune instruments with the built in synth
- Zero-latency, low CPU use
- Simple, ergonomic resizable interface
- Mac Retina and Windows HiDPI support
- Free, completely functional 30-day demo
Pricing and Availability
MTS-ESP is available now for Mac & Windows for $110.19. A free 30-day demo version is also available.