Martinic has introduced AX73, an third-party software emulation of the rare Akai AX73, a mid-’80s analog synth.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
“Martinic has taken what was great about the original AX73 and elevated it into a powerful, flexible software instrument that fits right into the modern producer’s lineup of go-to synths.
With four analog oscillators across two synth layers, unique modulation features, extended performance options, and an eight-module effects section, this plugin AX73 (VST/AU) unleashes the full power of the original hardware and more – no menu diving required, and all perfectly modeled through our Advanced Circuitry Emulation technology. And, it includes a generous lineup of 600+ inspiring presets to get you started right away.”
Martinic AX73 features a variety of enhancements over the original:
- New Effects Section
- Process the synth’s output with eight built-in effects units: Compressor, Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Distortion, and EQ
- ?These effects can be routed in any order you like – simply rearrange them by dragging and dropping them in the FX Chain.
- Expanded architecture – The best elements from other synths in the AX range have been distilled into a feature-rich reinterpretation of the AX73. Notable examples include: extra chorus settings and the arpeggiator from the AX60, a second VCO and sub-oscillator from the AX80, and an extended VCO octave range down to 32’, as seen in both the AX60 and 80.
- Expanded modulation options – The AX73 plugin also offers far greater modulation capabilities than the original. It features four envelopes per layer (three of which are assignable), and four assignable LFOs per layer. Taking both layers into account, this gives eight envelopes and eight LFOs.
- Split or Stack Layers to build your sound – Uniquely, the AX73 has two layers that can be split across the keyboard – allowing you to play two patches simultaneously – or stacked, providing an extra dimension of sound design. And, each layer has its own independent arpeggiator with 11 built-in modes – including some unusual modes such as Shuffle and Improv – that you can use to quickly create melodies.
Pricing and Availability
Martinic AX73 is available now for macOS & Windows with an intro price of $59.50 USD.