The Evolution UC-33e is an affordable USB hardware controller designed to be used with any computer music/MIDI setup. It gives instant access to up to 47 different parameters. It has 33 memory locations, so changing its setup is fast and easy.
The UC-33e comes with 33 pre-configured presets that support popular virtual instruments and sequencers, from Cubase SX to Propellerhead Reason to Native Instruments B4. Evolution provides five colorful overlays, which customize the front of the controller for use with Native Instruments Pro-53, B-4, Ableton Live, mixing, and a blank one. Recently, they’ve released additional inexpensive overlays that you can get for other popular applications.
The controllers can be programmed using the UC-33e’s numeric keypad. To do this, you select a controller, then just enter in a MIDI cc number. This lets you change any controller to transmit any MIDI message, including Sys-Ex messages. Once you’ve customized the setup, you can save it into one of the 33 memory locations.
It can be used with computer-based audio systems, but also is useful for use with hardware MIDI modules. This makes it a lot easier to modify setting on rack systems.
The UC-33e is small enough to use with notebook systems, but doesn’t have any major limitations because of its size. The one item that some may miss is a jog wheel. The UC-33e is an excellent first control surface, because it gives you a large number of knobs and sliders, is easy to program, and doesn’t duplicate the MIDI piano keyboard that most musicians will already have.
The UC-33e can of course also be used with a conventional MIDI setup, for live performances or as a remote controller for your existing studio rack. The MIDI Out not only acts as an output for data from your computer system, but used stand-alone the UC-33 sends MIDI controller data straight from the MIDI Out to your MIDI rack. Even complex live setups are easy to control from a single unit due to the UC-33’s powerful programming features.
- 24 fully assignable rotary knobs
- 9 full-size assignable ALPS faders with light indicators
- Independent channel assign for all 47 controllers
- 33 memory locations for storing your settings, including 4 one touch access buttons
- 14 assignable buttons provide fingertip control over Transport and other sequencer functions. Doubles up as essential numeric keypad for data entry.
- Unique controller mute function mutes the output of all controllers so you can position them to the value you want before tweaking.
- Multi-purpose LCD display shows controller assignments
- Drawbar mode for faders for realistic control of those classic organ sounds
- Memory dump facility.
- Global channel assign allows any given set of controllers to control up to 16 different channels at the touch of a button, while others can keep their channel setting.
- Sys-Ex librarian software allows PC users to load, save, send and receive any combination of setups for your studio.
- Snap Shot sends out current controller position data and sets your synths controls to the current UC-33 setting.
- Controllers Requirements: PC/Mac or MIDI hardware with USB or MIDI In.
- Software Requirements: Pentium II 300MHz 128Mb RAM or better, USB socket, Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, approved MME or ASIO compliant soundcard.
- iMac, Power Mac G3 or better with USB running OS9/OSX.
- Controller powered by USB (cable included) or 9V DC, 250-300mA centre positive power adaptor (not included)..
- 32 x 21 x 7 (cm)