The Akai MPD18 Compact Drum Pad Controller

akai-mpd18-compact-pad-controller

Akai has announced that the MPD18 portable pad controller is now shipping to retailers.

The MPD18 is the smallest device in Akai Professional’s line of MPD pad controllers. Its small footprint makes the MPD18 easy to integrate into any setup for stage performance, studio production or musical creation on the go.

The heart of the MPD18 is its bank of 16 velocity and pressure-sensitive MPC pads. Users can access three different banks of sounds from the pads for a total of 48 sounds at once. The MPD18 also borrows the MPC series’ assignable Q-Link controllers, enabling users to control nearly any parameters in their software in real time on an assignable Q-Link fader.

Users will find the MPD18 to be convenient, sending MIDI information over its plug-and-play USB interface for use with Mac or PC without installing any drivers. The USB connection also powers the MPD18 so musicians can use the controller with no power supply. The MPD18 can control nearly any MIDI software, as well as MIDI hardware, such as synths, sound modules, samplers, sequencers, drum machines and more.

“The MPD18 gives you the iconic control feel of the MPC in a compact footprint that’s easy to fit in any setup,” said Adam Cohen, Director of Business Development, Akai Professional.

110 thoughts on “The Akai MPD18 Compact Drum Pad Controller

1. Either way, decided on grabbing an MPD24 today.. Its the only thing missing in my gear, and I don't fancy hammering my Casio to get some beat out of it (even though it does an excellent job IMO; drum beats sound very nice).

Sad idea though; the thought to have (for example) the MPD24 eventually replaced with the 26 model even though its been cut short on the hardware and somewhat "spiced up" on software (even though that really isn't a big trick).

No, I'll stick with the old decent stuff ;-)

2. Either way, decided on grabbing an MPD24 today.. Its the only thing missing in my gear, and I don't fancy hammering my Casio to get some beat out of it (even though it does an excellent job IMO; drum beats sound very nice).

No, I'll stick with the old decent stuff ;-)

3. Either way, decided on grabbing an MPD24 today.. Its the only thing missing in my gear, and I don't fancy hammering my Casio to get some beat out of it (even though it does an excellent job IMO; drum beats sound very nice).

No, I'll stick with the old decent stuff ;-)

4. Either way, decided on grabbing an MPD24 today.. Its the only thing missing in my gear, and I don't fancy hammering my Casio to get some beat out of it (even though it does an excellent job IMO; drum beats sound very nice).

No, I'll stick with the old decent stuff ;-)

5. Either way, decided on grabbing an MPD24 today.. Its the only thing missing in my gear, and I don't fancy hammering my Casio to get some beat out of it (even though it does an excellent job IMO; drum beats sound very nice).

No, I'll stick with the old decent stuff ;-)

6. Either way, decided on grabbing an MPD24 today.. Its the only thing missing in my gear, and I don't fancy hammering my Casio to get some beat out of it (even though it does an excellent job IMO; drum beats sound very nice).

No, I'll stick with the old decent stuff ;-)

7. Either way, decided on grabbing an MPD24 today.. Its the only thing missing in my gear, and I don't fancy hammering my Casio to get some beat out of it (even though it does an excellent job IMO; drum beats sound very nice).

No, I'll stick with the old decent stuff ;-)

8. Either way, decided on grabbing an MPD24 today.. Its the only thing missing in my gear, and I don't fancy hammering my Casio to get some beat out of it (even though it does an excellent job IMO; drum beats sound very nice).

No, I'll stick with the old decent stuff ;-)

9. Either way, decided on grabbing an MPD24 today.. Its the only thing missing in my gear, and I don't fancy hammering my Casio to get some beat out of it (even though it does an excellent job IMO; drum beats sound very nice).

No, I'll stick with the old decent stuff ;-)

10. It depents entirely on what you're after. I'm going to get myself one of these as their nice and small and the alternatives seem very bad. Have read many bad reviews on the korg nanopads and all reviews on this one are great. Seems their reliable. I tweek everything on the computer and so I just need the pads for drumming. And the're the MPC series pads …nice.