One thing we’ve heard loud and clear in the comments on this year’s Musikmesse posts is that Synthtopia readers are really wanting to see new analog gear.

iPad music apps can be cool and it’s good to see companies pushing the limits of what’s possible with digital keyboard workstations. But how about some incredible new analog synthesizers?

How about introducing some expensive muscle-car monster synths, already?

We’re serious about this. The Yamaha CS-80, widely considered to be the greatest polyphonic synthesizer of all time, was introduced 34 years ago. That’s a generation!

It’s time for Synthtopia to update its banner with a new keyboard for the ages.

It’s time! We get emails, out of the blue, telling us that that CS-80 in the banner is getting a little long in the tooth.

“Please update that banner!” they say.

But we have yet to see a synth released that can knock the CS-80 out of its position as the King of Synthesizers. And we will update that banner when we do.

Fortunately, one man, Stefan Schmidt, is keeping hope alive, doing what the major synth manufacturers either can’t do or choose not to do.

Schmidt is making a synthesizer for the ages. An expensive muscle-car monster synth.

A ‘Super Synth’.

It’s got 157 knobs. That’s about 153 more knobs than most synthesizers, these days.

It’s got 8 voices, with four oscillators and 7 filters per voice.

The weight is 45 kilos.

The motivation for this crazy thing? To have fun.

It will be so expensive that Schmidt can’t even guess a ballpark price.

It won’t have all the bells and whistles that modern keyboard workstations have.

But when you’re driving a muscle car, do you need to have air-conditioning and a GPS, or do you just want to roll down the windows and listen to that beast of an engine roar?

Check this overview video out – courtesy of the hardworking video gurus at Sonic State – and then let us know what you think of Stefan Schmidt’s new analog synthesizer!

62 thoughts on “The Schmidt Analog Synthesizer – The Expensive Muscle-Car Monster Synth That You’ve Been Waiting For

1. I want one so bad

About to drop almost $8 grand on a Jomox Sunsyn (second hand!)

I would love one of these too.

2. does this have DCO’s or VCO’s? and what how much user memory does it have? functions for saving patches?

3. I am just as impressed with the man’s devotion to designing and building the instrument as I am the instrument itself. I don’t believe I will ever have either its keys under or its knobs between my fingers, be the design in terms of both layout and sound is just stunningly beautiful. I hope he is blessed with enough sales to have made it as economically worthwhile for him as I’m sure it was personally.

4. This particular blog post The Schmidt Analog Synthesizer – The Expensive Muscle-Car Monster Synth That You?ve Been Waiting For ? Synthtopia, has got
    genuinely good advice and I actually learned specifically what I had
    been hoping for. Many Thanks.

5. Marvelous wonderfulness. I want zis sin-see-size-ah! Why the feck not use an extreme to make a point? Bloody good point it is too. Save…. invest…. enjoy. I’ve gone from having a huge hardware studio (built up over 20 years) all to myself! And to financial hardship and selling it all sadly including my Minimoog Model D 2x Sh-101s and many other bits….. going to a Mac and using just soft synths. This has worked for about 6 years very happily until I bought a FAT Freebass 383 recently. Oh dear. I was reminded instantly of how enormous a real synth can sound compared to a computer’s interpretation. And so the hunger has reappeared. And as dreadful to my bank balance and family life it may be…. IT MUST BE DONE. BUY REAL SYNTHS….. YOUR WORLD WILL BE COMPLETE.

6. This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve
    joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more
    of your fantastic post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!