Moog Animoog – The ‘First Professional Synth For The iPad’?

YouTube Preview Image

Moog Music has released their new software synthesizer for the iPad, Animoog, which features what Moog calls its Anisotropic Synth Engine.

Moog calls Animoog the ‘first professional synth for the iPad’. That’s a pretty bold statement, considering that there are already some excellent synths for the iPad. But Moog has as good a track record as anyone at putting out great-sounding synths.

Features:

• Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE) – A new Moog technology that allows the user to move dynamically through an X/Y space of unique timbres to create a constantly evolving soundscape.
  • Timbre page – Assemble unique sounds in the X/Y space from timbres of a wide variety of vintage and modern Moog synthesizers and pedals. Note: this is NOT simple sample playback.
  • Polyphonic Modulation – Slide your fingers to control multiple modulation parameters in Animoog right from the keys.
  • Polyphonic Pitch Shifting – Manipulate the exact pitch of each note in a chord by rotating or sliding your fingers.
  • Delay Module – A classic analog style ping pong delay.
  • Thick Module – From bit crushing to unison voice detuning and drive, this module adds depth, edge and character to Animoog’s sound palette.
  • Moog Filter – The classic four-pole Moog ladder filter with High Pass, Low Pass and Band Pass modes.
  • Record Module – Record your performance and overdub new layers, or play along live. Transfer recordings between Animoog and any other apps which support AudioCopy/AudioPaste
  • Path Module – Direct ASE through Animoog’s X/Y space to create new sounds.
  • Orbit Module – Control the rate of orbit in the X/Y space around the path you created for ‘subtle to insane’ voice manipulation.
  • Flexible Modulation Matrix – Amp, Filter and Mod Envelopes, LFO with continuously variable wave shapes and sync, and four flexible and assignable modulation slots.
  • MIDI in/out – Use any other MIDI controller to control Animoog.

Here are some screen shots from Animoog:

Moog has released Animoog at an introductory price of $.99, because they say they “want as many people as possible to experience Animoog.” The regular price will be $29.99.

Check out the Animoog specs, screen shots and audio previews and let us know what you think of Moog’s new iPad synth and its Anisotropic Synth Engine. Time to buy an iPad?

And if you’ve tried out Animoog – leave a comment with your thoughts!

Moog Animoog Tour

Here’s the official Moog tour of Animoog:

YouTube Preview Image

Here are some audio demos of Animoog:

Animoog Manual

A manual for Animoog is available for download via the Moog site (.pdf). At this point, though, the manual could be charitably called incomplete. We’d like to see Moog create a manual equal to the app itself.

Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE)

Animoog, powered by Moog’s new Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE), is a polyphonic synthesizer for the iPad. ASE is designed to let you move dynamically through an X/Y space of unique timbres to create constantly evolving soundscapes.

According to Moog, ‘Animoog captures the vast sonic vocabulary of Moog synthesisers  and applies it to the modern touch surface paradigm, enabling you to quickly sculpt incredibly fluid and dynamic sounds that live, breathe, and evolve as you play them.’

Anisotropy is the property of being directionally dependent, as opposed to isotropy, which implies identical properties in all directions. It can be defined as a difference, when measured along different axes, in a material’s physical or mechanical properties.

97 thoughts on “Moog Animoog – The ‘First Professional Synth For The iPad’?

1. if you own an ipad already .99 cents is a no brainer.

if you don’t own an ipad, it’s just another fun approach with visual stimuli for creating something already available. nothing new, just fun to play with.

2. This kinda reminds me of Melodyne, but even more tactile. It allows you to literally dip your fingers in the sound. Its not only Moog-good sonically, but they got 98% of the I/O right the very first time. Classy. It feels as if Bob designed a softsynth from the ground up. The guy who said he was playing AniMoog alongside a “real” MiniMoog has the best idea of the lot, because it covers traditional keyboard playing AND the new world of pad-play. All I ask is this: PLEASE don’t just use it for Depeche Mode covers, argh:P.

3. Will somebody please please send a link to show how to link it with Core MIDI/Midi Clock. I am looking online but cant find anything – im not being lazy! Argh!!! I have seen about 10 people asking how to do it…..

4. the sheer audacity of the idea behind this makes even the really well thought out iPad synths look ordinary. My ’74 Minimoog is giving me some very dirty looks.

5. Within a half minute of install, I wrote a riff w/ the default setting worth recording…used the recorder in the app for playback, but I’m unsure how to port/send output to my Four Track App on my iPhone4 … Any guidance?

• You can export the sound as a .wav through iTunes FIle Sharing. The app also supports the AudioPaste ‘standard’, if your app works with that.

Moog really needs to step up the recording aspect somehow. I would at least like multiple tracks, and some sort of better display of what’s going on with the recording.

6. Hi my family member! I wish to say that this article is awesome, nice written and come with approximately all important infos. I?d like to look extra posts like this .

7. Bob Moog would be proud. He began building theremins and considered ribbon controllers an important component in synthesizer expressiveness. The iPad’s touch screen gives that kind of modulation.

I love this app and recommend it to everyone who owns an ipad, musician or not. Just too much fun! The x/y pad’s visualization of the sound is inspired…and inspiring! I could go on and on.

A great toy and a wonderful musical instrument that puts the “play” back in playing. Still on sale at a mere $9.99

8. I have to say, i love animoog. At first i was amazed at how great the presets sounded coming out of my ipad. Once i got it into the studio and plugged it into the console, whoaaa, the bottom end was amazing. im still in aw of the quality and the wonderful hui. i havent used it in midi mode yet, i mostly use it to add color to my productions and play leads in realtime. Considering i got this app for 99 cents, i feel like i should be giving moog some production credits on my releases. Great product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! incredible price…

Michael K Success
    “What’s Your Status”

9. I find Animoog to be a quite capable synth. It sounds every bit as good as my hardware Moogs when played through an amp or studio monitors. The presets and add on sets are good, but I prefer the sounds after I’ve tweaked a bit, or the sounds I’ve made from “scratch”. What I would love to know, is if I can load my own homemade timbres into Animoog somehow, so I can really create some things from scratch.. Can this be done, and does anyone know how to do this?