The Nord Drum Virtual Analog Drum Synthesizer

Nord Drum

UK distributor Sound Tech has published details on the new Nord Drum Virtual Analog Drum Synthesizer.

The Nord Drum is a 4-channel drum synthesizer that is the result of a creative collaboration between Clavia and drum/music technology enthusiasts Bruniusson & Berg.

According to Nord, the Nord Drum offers an ‘amazingly vast sonic palette and an astounding level of playability’.

The Nord Drum lets you create classic retro-futuristic percussion with analogue waveforms or use the harmonically complex waveforms together with different colors of noise more organic sounds.

The Nord Drum is designed with the performing musician in mind. It offers ‘extreme’ dynamic range and fast triggering. 4 high-sensitivity inputs and MIDI lets you play the Nord Drum with a wide range of Electronic Drum Pads, Acoustic Drum Triggers and MIDI-pads/Sequencers.

According to Sound Technology, Nord Drum will ship in the UK in March 2012 with an estimated selling price of £399 RRP inc VAT.

The Nord Drum will be officially introduced at the 2012 NAMM Show.  We’ll have official details from the show.

17 thoughts on “The Nord Drum Virtual Analog Drum Synthesizer

• The Nord Drum is designed with the performing musician in mind. It offers ‘extreme’ dynamic range and fast triggering. 4 high-sensitivity inputs and MIDI lets you play the Nord Drum with a wide range of Electronic Drum Pads, Acoustic Drum Triggers and MIDI-pads/Sequencers.

1. It’s Clavia!!! What, you were expecting something exciting and innovative ? That Clavia is long gone.

2. more knobs would be nice nord!
    do the triggers respond to CV pulses if not then my tenori-on might make a good friend for it.
    i personally think that they couldn’t go wrong if they re-released the mirco modular.pocket friendly in both money and size

• exactly. i would buy a micro with an ipad editor in a blink. don´t get why they dont follow it up.

3. Yeh I like my drum machines to come with drum pads to thwack! I guess its really a drum module.
    I would love to see them release an editor for the nord modular on the ipad…i would buy that.

4. I’m pretty disappointed. I was hoping for something more like the Machinedrum or updated 808/909. Even a 2012 ER-1 would be nice. But a red Simmons? Not so excited.

5. I didn’t expect nord to release something akin to the machinedrum. It’s not their style. Look at their products, mostly piano and organ emulations. This makes sense for them, but not for anyone who’s really interested in a drum machine. I believe there is enough catered to performance which a lot of companies are missing out on when it comes to production and value for studio use. And by value I’m talking affordability. The Electribes are almost there but for their price they lack a step in functionality. I owned an EMX and was really interested in what it could do but it dropped my attention and so did the MPC’s. I keep finding myself relying on DAW’s to keep my interest peaked. I wouldn’t mind seeing something in the 400-600 dollar range that was like papens punch or fxpansions new tremor but in a hardware version that isn’t going to break the bank. I also wanted to add that the 808/909 thing has been rehashed too many times and even if clavia released something that emulated those sounds and updated them I would be equally as dissapointed.

6. Hmm! Well it appears to be the year of the drum machine! I’m going to reserve any trash talking until I hear,since that’s what matters, 4 instruments? Im a drum machine freak, love- um but to be honest, a drum module doesn’t bother me but the synth engine on this baby is really going to have to shine. Considering nords base (studio performers, pro keyboardists, etc) I can’t say I think this product will bring something fresh to the drum machine world. But you never can tell. ( I thought akai was just going the way of a slow death and bam!!! They pull a tupac on the whole game… Nice! )

7. What kind of terrible interface is that? This has to be the ugliest looking POS Clavia have ever released.