Reader Petros Douvantzis let us know about his free app, Soundbeam, that turns an iPhone or iPod touch (compatible with iPad) into an oscilloscope.
Soundbeam is an audio analyzer that processes the input of your microphone in real time, displaying it like a classic oscilloscope. Plug in an electric guitar, a mic or any other (hi-Z) device to the mini-jack input and get accurate measurements. You can also use the built-in mic.
- Spectrum and waveform views
- Gesture support for frequency range and intensity levels adjustment
- Visualization controls
- …and one more thing! Plug in your headset or guitar and watch what happens!
- While in “spectrum mode”, pinch the monitor vertically or horizontally to change frequency range and intensity levels respectively. You can also pan the soundwave with one finger.
- In “waveform mode” pinch the screen vertically to adjust intensity levels.
- Double tap on the screen to reset view.
- Tap & slide the intensity knob horizontally to adjust it.
Soundbeam is available from the App Store.