Pulse Code Inc, developer of Rhythm Studio, has announced Modular – a new software modular synthesizer for iOS.
Here’s what they have to say about Modular:
Modular looks, acts, and sounds like a hardware modular synthesizer to give you features that musicians want such as pulse width modulation, oscillator sync, 4 pole ladder filters, and 1v/oct filter tracking.
Traditional modular systems are expensive and out of reach for the average artist. Modular is here to bridge that gap and allow everyone the opportunity to use these powerful synthesizers.
Here’s a video sneak preview:
- ‘Analog sound’
- Bandlimited oscillators
- Oversampled filters
- Beautiful graphics
- Dynamic workspace
- Intuitive navigation
- 10 octave keyboard
- Extensive in-app help
- Audiobus support
- Soundcloud export
- CoreMIDI support
- Record live performance
- Email recordings
- Import / export patches via iTunes file sharing
- Background Audio
- MASTER - The master module is the main connection point between the keyboard and modules as well as the final output and modules.
- VCO-01 - The VCO-01 is a band limited voltage controlled oscillator with triangle, square, and sawtooth waveforms.
- VCO-11 - The VCO-11 is an advanced band limited voltage controlled oscillator with sine, triangle, pulse, and sawtooth waveforms.
- NG-17 - The NG-17 is a noise generator that outputs both white and pink noise.
- VCF-01 - The VCF-01 is a 2 pole resonating low pass filter with frequency modulation.
- VCF-11 - The VCF-11 is an advanced 2 pole resonating filter with individual low, band, and high pass outputs. The frequency can be modulated as well as scaled per keyboard tracking.
- VCF-12 - The VCF-12 is an advanced 4 pole resonating ladder filter with low pass output. This filter has a smooth characteristic and steep cutoff slope. The frequency can be modulated as well as scaled per keyboard tracking. The VCF-12 can self oscillate at high resonance settings.
- VCA-01 - The VCA-01 module is an amplifier with an initial level knob and CV control of the level.
- MIX-02 - The MIX-02 combines 3 signals together and sends the result to a single output.
- SPLIT-03 - The SPLIT-03 takes an incoming signal and splits it into 3 separate outputs.
- INV-04 - The INV-04 is a utility module that takes an incoming signal and inverts the output.
- VCA-11 - The VCA-11 is an improved amplifier module compared to the VCA-01 with soft clipping.
- XFADE-12 - The XFADE-12 cross fades two signals and outputs the result.
- LFO-01 - The LFO-01 is a low frequency oscillator which can be used as a control voltage source to modulate parameters on other modules.
- LFO-11 - The LFO-11 is an advanced low frequency oscillator which can be used as a control voltage source to modulate parameters on other modules.
- EG-01 - The EG-01 is a standard attack, decay, sustain, decay envelope generator.
- EG-02 - The EG-02 is a standard decay envelope generator.
- EG-11 - The EG-11 is a standard attack, decay, sustain, release envelope generator.
- SLEW-13 - The SLEW-13 is a slew generator which smoothes out the transitions of an incoming signal.
- DELAY-01 - The DELAY-01 is a standard delay effect unit.
- DELAY-11 - The DELAY-11 is an advanced delay effect unit.
- DIST-13 - The DIST-13 is a distortion effect module.
- BOOL-01 - The BOOL-01 applies boolean math functions to two signals and outputs a 1 or 0 result.
- RING-02 - The RING-02 is a ring modulator which multiplies two signals together and sends the result to the output.
- SH-03 - The SH-03 is a standard sample and hold module.
Modular will be a free app, with additional modules available as in-app purchases. The release date has not been announced.
In the meantime, check out the preview video and let us know what you think of it!