The Expressiv MIDI Guitar is a new MIDI guitar controller, being produced by Rob O’Reilly via a Kickstarter project.
Expressiv uses a smart fretboard scanner to know which notes you are pressing, the same way that keyboardists get a note when they press a key. This leaves your strumming hand free to control any parameters such as pitch bend, modulation and octave shift using the onboard touchpad, joystick and buttons.
Also, with the flick of a switch, you can change from synthesizer control to standard guitar functionality.
The Plug and Play functionality means you only have to plug a standard USB cable directly into your computer with no hardware, driver or power supply required.
Here’s the official video intro:
- Scale Length: 648 mm;
- Weight: 3.25 kg;
- Maximum Length: 1030 mm Maximum Width: 254 mm;
- No. of Frets: 22;
- Hardware: 6 rear locking tuners for quick string change and stable tuning; fully adjustable Tune-O-Matic bridge; adjustable trussrod;
- Fingerboard Material: High grade maple fingerboard with ultra-tough white lacquer and non-chip binding and black edge fingerboard position dots;
- Neck Material: Maple bolt-on neck with smooth easy-slide matt black finish;
- Pickup Type: Wilkinson WVSB (bridge) and VSM (middle) single coils;
- Switches/Controls: 3 way pickup toggle selector switch; 1/4″ out, USB out, MIDI out; X-Y Touchpad; Joystick control and 6 assignable MIDI control buttons; MIDI
- Guitar: Expressiv MIDI Guitar System;
- Circuitry Type: Volume, 3-way mini-toggle pickup selector;
- Body Style: Matt black laminate wood frame w/ infinity mirror in clear acrylic centre;
- Strings: 010-046 D’Addario;
- Included: 3 Dunlop plectrums, Chequered strap, 3 adjusting allen keys, polishing cloth;
- The standard ROR Expressiv MIDI Guitar model is RIGHT-HAND. Also available in LEFT-HAND models.
The Expressiv MIDI Guitar is available to project backers for €449. See the project site for details.