In this series of videos from Wave Alchemy, sound designer Matt Urmenyi offers tips and advice on how to synthesize drum sounds with an analog synthesizer. using a Korg MS-20 Mini.
In the 5-part series, Urmenyi demonstrates how to use the MS-20 Mini to create kick drum, snare drum, cymbal, tom and conga sounds.
To accompany this video series, Wave Alchemy has released a free sample library of analog drum sounds, synthesized using the Korg MS-20 Mini. MS-20 Mini Drums offers 483 drum samples and can be downloaded for free.
Here’s the official audio demo for the MS-20 Mini Drums sample pack:
What’s included in the sample pack?
483 24-bit, 100% royalty-free drum hits arranged into 3 main sections:
Processed Drum Section
- 268 processed drum and percussive hits – enhanced individually on a sound-by-sound basis using our extensive collection of high-end hardware processors and sound shaping tools
- 31 kick drums
- 69 snare drums
- 56 cymbals – closed hats, open hats, ride and crash cymbals
- 33 percussion sounds – rim shots, blocks, claves and cowbells
- 27 congas
- 32 toms
- 20 processed drum sounds
- Gear list – Empirical Labs Fatso & Distressor, A-Designs EM-PEQ, Elysia Xpressor, Spectra Sonics 610, Thermionic Culture Vulture, Valley People 610, API 512c, SSL E-Series EQ & Compressor, Schippmann Ebbe und Flut
Unprocessed Drum Section
- 215 24-bit unprocessed drum and percussive hits
- Identical in folder structure to the processed drum section, the unprocessed section includes all of the raw unprocessed source samples as they were recorded, straight from the MS-20 mini!
The drum kits folder contains 8 ready-to-play drum kits, conveniently mapped to the following software sampler formats:
- Battery 3 – 8 kits
- Halion – 8 kits
- Kontakt – 8 kits
- NN-XT – 8 kits
- SFZ – 8 kits
Download the sample library via the Wave Alchemy site.
In addition to the videos and the free sample library, the MS-20 mini Drum Synthesis Guide (.pdf) contains detailed information and patch sheets for 13 variations of drum sounds, including Kicks, Snares, Cymbals / hi-hats, Congas, Toms and other Percussion.