The Reface keyboard form factor was inspired by the Yamaha CS-01, a mini synth that featured a built-in speaker. The new keyboards use a updated form factor, but have sound engines designed to recall Yamaha’s YC, CP, CS and DX keyboards.
Key features of all the keyboards in the Reface line include:
- built-in speakers
- 37 keys with HQ-Mini action, derived from Yamaha’s flagship Motif XF
- battery-powered portability
- USB & MIDI connectivity
- Yamaha Reface Capture – an iOS patch librarian app
- SoundMondo – a web MIDI patch librarian and social patch sharing site
The Reface YC synth engine recalls Yamaha’s classic combo organs:
Yamaha Reface YC Features:
- reface YC reimagines the YC Yamaha Combo organs, introduced in the late 1960s and used by Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream and others.
- The YC offers the expression of drawbars, rotary speaker, percussion and effects.
- It includes five retro organ sounds — ranging from tonewheel to transistor to the original Yamaha Combo organ.
- 128-note polyphony.
Here’s a video overview of the Reface YC, via sonicstate:
The Yamaha Reface DX is expected to ship in September 2015, with a street price around US $500. See the YamahaSynth site for more info.