Berlin-based Nagual Sounds has developed a new gestural musical instrument, Nagual Dance, based on the Microsoft Kinect.
The system is based on two main components:
- Control data – from sensors, cameras, files and all kinds of sources – is used to turn gestures and movement into sounds; and
- The Soundscape -an interactive piece of music that doesn’t consist of pre-recorded musical sequences, but of musical possibilities. The music decides the behavior of the used data source.
In the example above, a Kinect camera is used by Nagual Dance to control the Soundscape ‘Firedance’.
Here’s how it works: Continue reading
This video, via rolandmedia, is a quick demo of using the Roland TR-8 live as a sound module.
The J Dilla collection, donated by J Dilla’s mother, Maureen Yancey, includes his custom-made Minimoog Voyager synthesizer and his Akai MPC 3000 Limited Edition
The Smithsonian has announced the donation of significant artifacts from the family of award-winning hip-hop artist and producer, James “J Dilla” Yancey (February 7, 1974 – February 10, 2006).
The J Dilla collection, donated by J Dilla’s mother, Maureen Yancey, includes his custom-made Minimoog Voyager synthesizer and his Akai MPC 3000 Limited Edition, one of only 2,000 units released in 2000 Continue reading
Pioneer has announced the PLX-1000 professional direct drive turntable.
- User-friendly control layout
- High-torque direct drive system
- Designed for optimal sound quality
- Tempo control with variable width levels
- Detachable power and audio cables
According to Pioneer, the PLX-1000 “offers a highly familiar, user-friendly control layout”.
Highly familiar. Continue reading
Plankton Electronics has released a new noise box, The Bumblebee.
Here’s what they have to say about The Bumblebee: Continue reading
Roger Linn has released another sneak preview of the LinnStrument – his new multi-touch, pressure-sensitive music controller. Continue reading
In this pair of videos, Future Retro’s Jered Flickinger introduces and demos the Swynx and the Zillion. Continue reading
Instrument designer Roger Linn shared another sneak preview of his new LinnStrument in action – doing ‘blues slide guitar’. Continue reading