Arturia today introduced iSEM – a software recreation of the classic 1974 Oberheim SEM (Synthesizer Expander Module).
The Oberheim SEM was one of the world’s first self-contained synthesizer modules and the first to bear the “Oberheim Electronics” name. The SEM was made famous by artists and bands such as Lyle Mays, Jan Hammer, Joseph Zawinul, Supertramp, 808 State, Vince Clarke and Depeche Mode.
Here’s a video intro to iSEM:
Here’s what Arturia has to say about iSEM:
The iSEM is a powerful instrument capable of producing a wide range of warm analog sounds.
Reproducing the unique SEM architecture, with its oscillator sync, characteristic filter shape and specific envelope response, the iSEM is able to generate the fat basses that have made the Oberheim brand so popular. Thanks to its simple and clever PW and pitch modulations, it is also very easy to produce moving and lively leads.
Its remarkable 12 dB/oct multimode filter is a real blast from the past, becoming an awesome weapon in the context of current electronic music. This unique module can instantly tailor your sound to fat, crisp, or spectral textures with access to all the nuances in between.
iSEM comes with over 500 sounds that you can browse through and play. You can also easily create your own sounds with the easy to use interface.
Play iSEM’s numerous sounds from the iPad keyboard or control iSEM from a MIDI keyboard or other app via CoreMIDI and integrate it into your studio or live performance.
If you are an owner of of the Arturia SEM V software on your Mac or PC, you can even import and export sounds between your laptop or desktop SEM V and iSEM.
- All the original parameters of the Oberheim SEM: two oscillators, each offering sawtooth wave and variable-width pulse wave with PWM, sine wave LFO, 12dB/oct multi-mode Filter with low-pass, high-pass, band-pass and notch, two ADS envelope generators.
- Added functionalities: New LFO, Noise, Sub oscillator, Arpeggiator, Portamento.
- Polyphonic playability
- 8 Voice Programmer module allows each voice to have different settings
- HOLD and CHORD modes.
- Virtual Analog Chorus.
- Virtual Analog Delay.
- Full user MIDI mapping of panel controls.
- Supports WIST sync to other iOS devices.
- Supports AudioBus and Apple’s Inter-App Audio connectivity (requires iOS7).
This video offers a quick tutorial on using iSEM:
iSEM is available now in the App Store for US $9.99.
If you’ve used iSEM, let us know what you think of it!