2015 NAMM Show: Cakewalk has announced a new SONAR product lineup and a new model for buying and owning DAW software.
With the new SONAR, the company is introducing a Membership model. Now, users have the option to choose either a traditional upfront payment, or to make monthly payments. New users receive 12 months of Membership free, while for current SONAR users, Membership renewal—which is priced similarly to a traditional lower priced product upgrade brings new updates every month instead of yearly (and sometimes overwhelming) updates.
The three new versions of SONAR are more clearly differentiated to focus on specific recording needs.
Here’s the official video intro:
All three version have the same core features:
- Touch control
- unlimited tracks/FX/Sends/Busses
- VST3/VST2/DirectX compatibility
- video track
- support for high-resolution audio via DSD compatibility and sample rates to 384 kHz
- enhanced MIDI editing
- Mix Recall for switching quickly among different mix options
- advanced publishing options
- innovative “one-stop solution” effects chains
- amp simulations
- advanced comping
Here’s an overview of the three SONAR versions:
- SONAR Artist ($99) adds to the core feature set with 19 bundled effects and 11 virtual instruments that focus on music creation and songwriting.
- SONAR Professional ($199) folds in the analog-style, expandable ProChannel Console Strip that allows creating/customizing virtual console architectures, as well as Melodyne Essential pitch correction with ARA integration, and Addictive Drums 2 Solo Edition—50 effects and 18 virtual instruments in total, including the vintage sound of Blue Tubes effects, convolution reverb, and the surgical precision of linear phase EQ and dynamics.
- SONAR Platinum ($499) features a wide variety of tools, plug-in effects, and instruments. With advanced tools like Console and Tape emulation, VocalSync for tightening vocals or matching dialog to picture, 21 virtual instruments, 57 effects for mixing and mastering (from vintage to cutting-edge), convolution reverb, step sequencer, and improved audio quantization/stretching, Platinum provides power tools that complement the superior workflow.
A detailed comparison of the SONAR versions is available at the Cakewalk site.
All three SONAR versions run on Windows 7/8, will be available globally in late January 2015 through music and sound retailers as well as the Cakewalk Store. Each SONAR version can be purchased up front, or with a monthly payment option. After 12 months, anything acquired during the Membership is fully authorized and never expires—regardless of whether Membership is renewed or not. See the Cakewalk site for details.