2015 Summer NAMM Show: Roland today introduced the SH-101 PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer.
It was previously introduced as a ‘Plug-Out’ synth for the Roland System-1 hardware synth and is now available for purchase as a software synth.
Like its hardware counterpart, the new SH-101 PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer is a reproduction of Roland’s iconic SH-101 monophonic synth from the 1980s, down to the details and odd quirks that make the original one of the most popular classic synthesizers of all time.
Based on Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology, the new soft synth recreates the behavior of the analog circuitry underlying the original’s synth engine. Included are classic SH-101 synth sounds — bass, lead, noise, and sound effects. The SH-101 Plug-Out software synth also adds reverb, chorus, delay and crusher effects that were not included in the original.
- Designed based on face-to-face consultation with the original designers and research beyond the original schematics
- Meticulously recreated oscillator and filter behavior—hallmarks of the SH-101 sound
- Authentic behaviors including the unique interaction between low pass filter and envelope controls
- Faithfully reproduces the unstable fluctuations that resulted from quirks in the SH-101’s circuitry
- Classic SH-101 synth sounds—bass, lead, noise, and sound effects
- Software layout features standard gray model, as well as red and blue models originally sold as limited editions
- Two envelope sections allow different settings for VCF and VCA while maintaining the option of classic SH-101 envelope behavior
- Reverb, chorus, delay and crusher effects that were not included in the original
- Run as many instances as your computer can handle
- Use SYSTEM-1 as a dedicated USB keyboard controller with lighted knobs and sliders that show only available parameters
- PLUG-OUT with SYSTEM-1 lets you take an authentic SH-101 wherever you go, from mobile production to live performance
- Transfer sounds between SYSTEM-1 and SH-101 with PLUG-OUT
- Supports Macintosh and Windows, and AU and VSTi formats
Pricing and Availability
Roland’s SH-101 Plug-Out software synthesizer is available now for purchase via download for $145 US. A free trial version is also available. More information is available at the Roland content store.