Apple today introduced the iPad Pro – a new iOS tablet, designed for power users. The iPad Pro offers CPU and graphic performance comparable to mobile PCs and a 12.9″ screen – which will allow for more powerful mobile music apps.
“The iPad Pro is far and away the fastest iOS device we have ever made — its A9X chip beats most portable PCs in both CPU and graphics tasks, but is thin and light enough to hold all day,” notes Apple senior vice president Philip Schiller.
We’ve already seen developers commenting on the possibilities of the new iPad for music apps. Audulus developer Taylor Holliday notes:
Audulus 3 is going to be AWESOME on #iPadPro!
— Audulus (@audulus) September 9, 2015
Here’s the official intro video for the iPad Pro:
iPad Pro Features:
- 12.9-inch, 5.6 million pixel display (2,732 x 2,048 pixels)
- 64-bit A9X CPU is 80% faster than the previous generation and, according to Apple is faster than 80% of portable PCs sold in the last year, 22x original iPad
- Graphics performance 360x original iPad, faster than 90% of portable PCs sold in the last year
- Four speakers
- 6.99mm thick, 1.57 lbs
- 8-megapixel iSight camera
- Touch ID in the home button
- 10 hour battery life
Note that, while the iPad Pro offers CPU and graphics performance comparable to mobile PCs, RAM and storage space are smaller – comparable to other tablets, which are optimized for battery life.
Apple also introduced two accessories for the iPad Pro:
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro, – a precision input device available. The touch subsystem of the Multi-Touch display in iPad Pro has been redesigned to work with Apple Pencil to reduce latency and deliver ‘incredible accuracy’ for activities like fine art illustration and detailed 3D design. Advanced sensors in Apple Pencil measure both pressure and tilt.
- Apple’s new Smart Keyboard is a full-sized keyboard that attaches to iPad Pro’s Smart Connector port, eliminating the need for a separate battery, on/off switch or Bluetooth pairing.
The iPad Pro is expected to be available in November, with this pricing:
- $799 for a 32GB WiFi model.
- $949 for a 128GB WiFi model
- $1079 for the LTE 128GB model