Tasty Chips Electronics let us know about the ST4 Hybrid Synthesizer/Tracker, a unique device that combines a hybrid analog/digital synthesizer with a 16-bit style tracker music machine.
It has digital oscillators, backed up with sampling for versatility, with analogue VCF’s and VCA’s for character. The developer says that, while the ST4 is packed with features, it’s designed to be easy to use, with dedicated knobs and buttons.
Production of the ST4 is being funded via a Kickstarter project, which is already about a third of the way to its goal. Here is the official intro video:
The ST4 is usable stand-alone for live gigs, but can also be mounted in a standard 19″ rack. It’s fully MIDI controllable.
- 4 Stereo voices
- Analog multi-mode VCF per channel including voltage controlled resonance.
- 4 Stereo VCA’s
- 2 LFO’s with saw, square, sine, noise and sample modes
- Direct LFO modulation matrix: 4 channels x VCO, VCA, VCF
- loopable ADSR envelope for VCO, VCA, VCF per channel
- MIDI IN: Monophonic on ch1..4 and polyphonic on ch5
- MIDI OUT ch1..4 (via tracker)
- Sampler and built-in microphone:
- 8 sample banks
- configurable loop start, end
- wav import/export
- Digital oscillators: saw, square, sine, noise, sample
- 128 instruments (MIDI patches):
- VCO, VCA, VCF env’s settings incl looping
- VCF mode
- oscillator mode
- sample mapping
- instrument chaining
- Direct control of voice pair detuning
- Built-in bit crusher
- 3.2″ high color TFT display
- On-board multi-channel sequencer “16 bit tracker style”, in conjunction with USB keyboard:
- 4 channels 16 steps, panning & volume definable per step
- 1024 positions powerful editor with many block functions
- independent glide per channel
- polyrhythm support, shuffle, tap tempo, BPM display
- Sturdy and Versatile casing usable as desktop or 19? rack mount.
- 4x 6.35mm channel outputs
- 2x 6.35mm master outputs (stereo)
- 1x 3.5mm line input (for sampler)
- DIN-5 MIDI IN, OUT, THRU
- USB A (for USB keyboard)
- USB B Programming/debugging interface
- SD card, for sample and song I/O
- 3.5mm stereo headphone
- 2.1mm AC power
The ST4 Hybrid Synthesizer/Tracker is available to project backers for about US $545 for a full DIY kit or $871 for an assembled unit.