In this video, Chris Randall (Audio Damage, Sister Machine Gun, Micronaut) shares his tips on how to fly with musical instruments – especially modular synthesizers – without getting a “3D body scan of your nuts”.
- Never check your instrument;
- If you can, scale your modular synth to fit in overhead bins;
- Travel with the capability to make sound with your modular;
- Pay for TSA Pre;
- Get there early; and
- Pay for premium boarding.
- Check out the TSA’s page on flying with musical instruments;
- See the TSA’s blog for some tips on traveling with musical instruments; and
- The Future of Music Coalition has suggestions for flying with instruments.
If you’ve got your own suggestions, or unique experiences to share about flying with instruments, share them in the comments!