The first in what they are calling a “new family of highly portable electronic musical instruments,” SKULPT follows on Modal Electronics’ CRAFTsynth, 001 and 002 Digital / Analogue hybrid synthesizers, 008 Polyphonic Analogue synthesizer, and the CRAFTrhythm drum sampler. Based on the innovative voice architecture of the Modal CRAFTsynth, SKULPT boasts four polyphonic voices of synthesis with advanced sound creation features.
SKULPT key features:
- Four virtual analogue discrete voices of polyphony with multiple keyboard modes
- Eight oscillators per voice for a total of 32 oscillators (4 x 8)
- Eight banks of sixteen patches (128 in total) patch storage and recall
- Smooth morphing waveforms for each oscillator
- FM (frequency modulation)
- Ring Modulator
- Pulse Width Modulation
- Eight (8) modulation slots with eight sources and thirty-seven destinations
- Three (3) Envelope generators for Filter, Amp and Mod
- Two LFO’s – audio rate and MIDI syncable, one global, one per voice / polyphonic
- 2 pole resonant morph-able modeled State Variable Filter (VCF) controllable from low pass, through band pass, to high pass
- Delay section – fully MIDI syncable
- Waveshaping Distortion
- Sequencer with real-time polyphonic note input, storing 128 notes and four rows of parameter automation, 64 sequences can be stored onboard
- Feature rich Arpeggiator with selectable division, direction, swing and octave range
- 16 key front keypad for note input and controls
- 13 front panel encoders with shift mode for further access to functions
- Front panel transmits MIDI CC’s enabling it to control external software and hardware
- MIDI IN and OUT with soft THRU on 5 pin din sockets as well as Class Compliant MIDI over USB
- Analogue SYNC IN and OUT on 3.5mm sockets
- Dedicated headphone port
- Master output on 3.5mm socket
- Powered either by USB or 6 x AA batteries for extended playing time
Modal SKULPT is highly portable – measuring 10”x5 1/2”x 3” and weighing less than 2lb – with batteries installed. SKULPT can be powered by either 6 x AA batteries, or via USB power. Modal SKULPT also provides a Class Compliant USB MIDI connection, enabling SKULPT to play in an integrated setup with Mac OSX, Windows or iOS and Android tablets and phones.
In addition the MODALapp editor provides “complete” visual access and control to all of the synth’s features, along with tight integration of Modal’s CRAFTsynth and CRAFTrhythm devices – allowing the user to work across the full range of Modal instruments with a single uniform editing environment on the user’s platform of choice including MacOSX, Windows or iOS and Android.
Pricing and Availability
Modal SKULPT will be available to order via the Kickstarter crowdfunding platform, beginning next Friday, July 13. More details and updates will be forthcoming on the company site. Pricing is yet to be confirmed, but Modal Electronics has said that they expect SKULPT will be less than US$300.