Novation is marking the 10th anniversary of introducing the original Launchpad MIDI controller for Ableton Live by introducing the Launchpad X and Launchpad Mini [MK3].
The Launchpad X is Novation’s new full-size MIDI pad controller for Live, designed to offer fast clip and scene launching, expressive instrument play, and direct transport and mixer control.
Novation says that the Launchpad X’s 64 velocity- and pressure-sensitive RGB pads are their most responsive yet. Drum and Note Modes provide automatic switching between percussive and melodic instrument triggering. The Launchpad X also features a dedicated Capture MIDI button , which ensures that you can capture your ideas, whenever they come.
- 64 large RGB pads
- Ableton Live Integration – quickly launch clips and scenes, never lose ideas with Capture MIDI, and access performance controls like stop, solo, mute, record arm, volume, pan, and sends for mouse-free control of your music.
- Four Custom Modes – use components to customize mappings and control anything MIDI easily from Launchpad X.
- Dynamic Note and Scale modes – enable you to effortlessly play in-key basslines, melodies, chords and leads.
- Launchpad X knows when you’re drumming and shows your drum rack on the grid.
- Velocity and pressure sensitive – play your instruments and devices expressively with the 64 velocity and pressure sensitive RGB pads.
Novation has also introduced an updated version of its portable Launchpad Mini.
The Launchpad Mini offers most of the features of Novation’s larger controllers, but sized for portability.
- 64 RGB pads
- Ableton Live Integration – quickly launch your clips and scenes at the press of a button. Stop, Solo and Mute controls make it easier and more tactile to control your performances.
- Three Custom Modes – you use Components to customize mappings and control anything MIDI easily from Launchpad Mini.
- Slim, lightweight design
- Get started easily, with step-by-step video guides
While the Launchpad was originally designed to work with Ableton Live, you can customize the MIDI mappings of each within three (Mini) or four (X) custom modes, using Novation Components. This means you can use them to control of almost anything. Send out MIDI CCs, notes and program change messages, and even use rows or columns as faders.
Both models come complete with a bundle of included software, including Ableton Live Lite, a range of plug-ins by AAS, XLN Audio, klevgrand, Softube and more.
Here’s an in-depth look at the new controllers from loopop:
Pricing and Availability
The Launchpad X is available now, with a street price of about $200 USD, and the Launchpad Mini mkIII is available for about $110.
One thought on “Novation Launches Launchpad X, Launchpad Mini [MK3]”
I had a launchpad mini and it inexplicably stopped working over the summer……..
Also, I used to put 2 sounds next to each other in Live’s drum rack instrument, and the launchpad would map them to opposite corners of the machine. Wonder if that’s all been worked out with this new Ableton branding?