Roland today announced firmware Version 2.0 for the FANTOM 6, 7, and 8 synthesizers.
The free update delivers major enhancements to the sampling, sequencing, effects, and routing capabilities, while also providing new customization options for live performance and studio production.
Here’s what’s new:
- The FANTOM sampling engine gets a significant overhaul in Version 2.0. Users now have the ability to sample directly to the keyboard or build detailed multisamples, which can be edited onboard and used as the basis of any oscillator/partial in a ZEN-Core tone. With up to 352 samples per tone and 16 tones in a Scene, the sound design potential is vast.
- Version 2.0 also brings a TFX (total effects) processor to FANTOM’s master section, complementing the existing master compressor and EQ. The TFX processor introduces deep sound-shaping power with 90 different effects that can be applied to the master output.
- Numerous audio routing features have also been added, including the ability to apply effects to audio input sources and sample the results.
- FANTOM features a color touchscreen interface, and the sequencing enhancements in Version 2.0 take even greater advantage of this powerful tool. Users can now draw and edit automation using multiple gestures, while a new microscope mode lets them fine-tune each note.
- Each of FANTOM’s 16 zones can already be assigned to an internal sound or an external input like a software synthesizer. With Version 2.0, internal and external sources can now be layered or split within a zone to build complex sounds and intricate performance setups. It’s also possible to transpose each zone independently and save settings in Scenes for instant recall.
- The Scene Chain function has been enhanced with a list view, where users can easily swap positions and usemarkers to quickly jump to different sections.
- Version 2.0 also brings new ways for users to customize FANTOM, including modifying the touchscreen background to match their creative environment.
Fantom 2.0 Overview:
Here’s an in-depth look at Fantom v2 from Ziv Eliraz (loopop):
10:10 Sampling 2.0
28:05 Chains 2.0
30:20 Groups, song
32:15 FX: TFX, iMFX
35:40 Pad modes
37:15 Drum zoom…
37:40 Arp, chords
39:20 Pros, cons
Fantom Version 2.0 is available now as a free update.