We have not seen an official announcement for the SP-404 MKII yet, but it looks like it will keep the SP-404 workflow, but improve on it with improved pads and controls; faster project loading and sample import; easy project access via 16 GB memory; and more.
Key Features (preliminary):
- Bang out beats anywhere with AA or mobile battery power
- Capture audio from or stream direct to your mobile device via USB,
- Collaborate with a partner using the dual headphone outputs and mic/guitar input.
- Edit samples with an OLED screen and zoomable waveform view.
- Chop up samples by tapping out edit points in real time, or use auto chop to slice samples automatically.
- Shape samples with envelope and pitch shift
- New resampling workflow lets you re-record patterns and effects layers for detailed sound design.
- Skip Back Sampling captures up to 25 seconds of audio from your performance.
- Process, flip, and twist your sounds with classic SP effects and a selection of new effects, including: Lo-fi, Cassette Simulator, Resonator, Vocoder, Auto Pitch, Guitar Amp Simulator and more.
- Adjustable input quantize and shuffle for custom swing.
- Pad Link lets you fire multiple samples with a single tap.
- Roll button for variable note repeat.
- BPM-per-bank for instant tempo changes.
- Organize patterns for different sets and chain them together to automate playback.
- Load 160 samples across each project for expanded performance and beatmaking combinations.
Official details on the Roland SP-404 mkII are still to be announced.
In the meantime, check it out and share your thoughts on the SP-404 mkII in the comments!