Waldorf Music has introduced the Quantum mk2, an upgraded version of its flagship synthesizer that adds polyphonic aftertouch, expands sample storage, offers enhanced polyphony options and more.
Here’s what’s new in the Waldorf Quantum mk2:
- 61 keys Fatar TP8/SK with aftertouch – The Quantum MK2 is the first keyboard with a 61-key Fatar TP8/SK polyphonic aftertouch keybed. The polyphonic aftertouch is highly customizable in multiple dimensions globally, as well as for individual keys. The Quantum MK2 can also be controlled by any MPE-capable controller by directly connecting to Quantum’s USB host port.
- 16 voices of polyphony, digital and analog filters – Based on an 8 voice analogue dual-filter architecture, the Quantum has been opened up for up to 16 voices of polyphony, in any combination of using digital dual multi-mode filters with the 8 analogue ones.
- 59 GB sampling storage – Another cornerstone of the Quantum mk2 is its increased internal sampling storage from a few GB to 59 GB. From firmware 1.0 to 3.0, Waldorf Music has listened to the requests and needs of musicians to extend its polyphonic granular sampling engine, as well its traditional multi-sample engine.
- Updated design and display – The Quantum mk2 features an updated mechanical design and naval blue color scheme. The updated mounting of the high-resolution touch display provides wider viewing angles and an intuitive way of controlling the more advanced features of the Quantum synthesis engine.
- Sounds and samples – Sound designers from all of over the world have contributed to the huge library of factory presets and and initial sample content of 2 GB. The sound designers include Richard Devine, Howard Scarr, Reinhold Heil, BT, Matt Johnson, Joerg Huettner, Kevin Schroeder, Sascha Dikiciyan, Kurt Ader, Mike Huckaby, Thorsten Quaeschning and others. All sounds are compatible with Waldorf’s Iridium instruments in both directions.
- Synthesis Platform – Waldorf Music has updated and improved its Quantum firmware, adding new synthesis capabilities and many feature requests by musicians. The Quantum firmware builds together with the Iridium firmware a “Waldorf Synthesis Platform.“
Pricing and Availability
The Waldorf Quantum mk2 is expected to be available at the end of January 2023, priced at 4.819,00 € (incl. German VAT).