Here are a few videos from the 2011 Winter NAMM Show that gives an overview of what the new iConnectMIDI does – and captures an impromptu jam session.
iConnectivity’s iConnectMIDI is high-speed MIDI interface, designed specifically to have plug and play capability between any MIDI controller type device while connected to iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch iOS devices.
“We wanted to be the first to open the door to the otherwise closed system to get your music out of the iPad.” says iConnectivity CEO Michael Loh. “We want to engage developers to think even more broadly about what their applications can do in the future, the exponentially growing number of music apps is exciting. That being said we had some requests to add lighting control so opened the door for DMX lighting control with the use of small accessory dongle. All of this and more is possible because we are in full support of the new CoreMIDI framework introduced in iOS 4.2.”
Not the most glamorous bit of gear, but it could be very useful for some musicians.
This video demonstrates how to use the iPad, iPhone and iPod to control DMX lighting systems via connectivity to MIDI.
This impromptu jam demonstrates using an iPod touch as a multitimbral sound module, driven by three MIDI keyboards.
- 2 x mini-USB Device Ports
- Supports iPad, iPhone or iPod touch
- Supports computers with Mac OS X or Windows XP or greater
2 x 2 MIDI DIN Ports
- Standard MIDI DIN at 31250 bits per second
- 2 In ports
- 2 Out ports
1 x USB Host Port
- Standard Full Speed USB Type A Host port
- Hub capable – supports up to 8 devices
- Supports USB MIDI Class compliant devices
- 5 V DC, 1A
Performance / Features
- Compliant to iOS 4.2 CoreMIDI framework – compatible with any CoreMIDI application
- Handles tens of thousands MIDI events each second
- Capable of extremely low latency MIDI data routing and management
- Fully configurable MIDI routing engine
- Standalone operation, capable of bridging between MIDI devices including DIN and
- Configurable MIDI data filtering on either In or Out ports
- Non-volatile configuration storage
Supported iOS Devices
- iPad WiFi, iPad 3G
- iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4
- iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G
- Width: 11.0 cm (4.3 inches)
- Depth: 7.0 cm (2.75 inches)
- Height: 3.5 cm (1.4 inches)
- Weight: 320 grams (0.7 lbs)
- Rugged steel body
- Black powder coat finish
iConnectMIDI is $179.99 USD (MSRP $199.99). iConnectMIDI will be generally available in March / April 2011. Details at the iConnectivity site.