FabFilter has announced the availability of their FabFilter Pro-Q 2, a “major” update to the Pro-Q equalizer plug-in. New features include Natural Phase processing, Auto Gain, Spectrum Grab, Gain-Q interaction, and slope support for all filter types.
For Pro-Q 2, FabFilter has completely redesigned the internal filter engine, improving the existing Zero Latency and Linear Phase processing modes, but also introducing a Natural Phase mode. FabFilter Pro-Q 2 is also more than twice as CPU-efficient as its predecessor.
- Natural Phase mode to match the magnitude response of analog EQ’ing, while also closely matching the analog phase response, without noticeable pre-ring or a long latency
- Full Screen mode for “super-precise” adjustments
- Spectrum Grab — grab and adjust a peak in the real-time spectrum analyzer
- Universal slope support for all filter types — “or example, enabling users to make ultra-narrow bell filters or very steep shelves.” (Slopes up to 96 dB/oct are now supported, including 18, 30, 36, and 72 dB/oct.)
- “Highly improved” Linear Phase mode, offering a better magnitude response and smooth changes without zipper effects
- New EQ filter types — Tilt Shelf and Band-Pass, in addition to the existing Bell, High/Low Cut, High/Low Shelf, and Notch filter shapes
- Gain-Q interaction option: when enabled, Q and gain influence one another in “a pleasant way that is often found in analog mixing consoles”
- EQ match feature to automatically match the spectrum of another track via the side-chain input
- Auto Gain automatically adjusts the output gain to compensate for the audible gain loss or increase introduced by the active EQ bands
- Improved spectrum analyzer with adjustable range, tilt, freeze, and horizontal zooming
- Optional piano roll display
- Flexible interface resizing
- Full output level meter
- Phase Invert option
- “Highly improved” CPU optimization: Pro-Q 2 uses less memory and is more than twice as efficient as its predecessor
- Improved analog magnitude matching in Zero Latency mode
Pricing and Availability. FabFilter Pro-Q 2 is now available for EUR 149, $199 US, or GBP 124, supporting both Windows and Mac OS X in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, AAX, RTAS and AudioSuite plug-in formats. More information, bundles that include the new FabFilter Pro-Q 2, and other FabFilter plug-ins are also available at the FabFilter website.
Existing FabFilter customers can purchase or upgrade to Pro-Q 2 “with very attractive discounts by logging in to their online user account at FabFilter.
System requirements on Windows are either Windows 8, 7, Vista or XP and a VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools, or Mac OS X 10.5 or higher with Intel processor and an Audio Units host, VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools. Both 32-bit and 64-bit hosts are supported.