At 2015 Musikmesse – Modal Electronics has introduced a new 3-octave synth, the duophonic, bi-timbral Modal 001 synthesizer.
Modal Electronics’ 001 features include:
- Modal 001 is a 2 voice duo phonic and bi-timbral synthesizer, using the same voice architecture as it’s bigger brother, the Modal 002.
- Two oscillators per voice with two sub oscillators, which can be switched from being either traditional square wave to having the same waveform as the main oscillator – in effect making four oscillators per voice.
- Analogue / digital hybrid architecture uses NCOs for very high resolution, and very stable oscillators. Over 50 different waveforms, ranging from classic analogue sounds to more unique digital shapes.
- Modal Electronics designed 24dB per octave four pole transistor ladder filter, with some very unusual morphing characteristics or ‘polesweeping’, enabling transition from four pole through bandpass to one pole 6db per octave, or anywhere in between.
- Two LFO’s, one per voice and one global.
- Extensive modulation options.
- 001 features a range of sequencing options – a built in 2 Track, 12 row, 32 step sequencer with MIDI sync capabilities. Sequences can also be transposed dynamically while running.
- A very highly featured arpeggiator with a wide range of different modes, including ‘hold’ mode, enabling arpeggiator-based sequences to be created.
- The Modal Electronics Animator, which enables any control parameter on the 001 to be sequenced, enabling very complex filter transitions, wave form changes and modulation matrix changes to be sequenced.
- Ethernet port to connect your 001 to your network and enable updates via the internet (no more midi sysex dumps) and access to the Modal Electronics cloud features
- High quality 4.3″ screen with wide viewing angle, display is context-sensitive where the control parameters of any control knob that is touched by the user is immediately displayed.
- 6 ‘quick recall banks’ are accessible directly from the front panel, enabling performing musicians to get rid of their set sheets and build set lists of presets, sequences and animations, all quickly accessible from dedicated front panel buttons. Up to ten banks of quick recalls can be created.
- VCF and VCA envelope generators.
- Four Key Modes – Polyphonic, Monophonic, Unison and Stack.
- Very high quality construction, uses a FATAR semi-weighted five octave key mechanism with aftertouch.
- Most voice control parameters are accessible from a well designed and intuitive front panel, that follows a traditional synthesizer work flow.
- Pure analogue signal path from the oscillators onwards, no digital conversion.
- 4 CV inputs and 4 CV outputs.
- Optional Digital Output board providing multi voice outputs over USB (Class Compliant) with FX available Q2 2015.
- Two audio inputs enabling audio processing from the VCF onwards plus external MIDI in and out.
- XY joystick for performance controls – any control parameter can be assigned to any joystick axis (X+, X-, Y+, Y-).
Pricing and Availability
The Modal 001 synthesizer is expected to ship early Summer 2015, with a suggested retail price of £1350 (EU €1,850, US $1,995).
For product specifications and additional information, check out the Modal Electronics website.
One thought on “Modal 001 Duophonic Bi-timbral Synthesizer Debuts At Musikmesse 2015”
Very very nice but i’m not sold on that knob layout and the built in telephone! That big screen and wood sides though.. So many cool synths coming out more and more often, I think we’re having our own little Renaissance!