The 8raw8 Analog Drum Machine Expander is a new drum synth that’s a clone of the analog drum synth voices of the legendary Roland TR808.
According to the developers, the 8raw8 is designed to be an affordable reproduction of the original 808, without any compromise on the sound.
It is a MIDI drum synth module, not a full 808 clone. The standard 1-octave MIDI mapping ranges from C3 to B3 (11 analog voices + Accent).
Here’s the official video demo:
- 11 Analog drum voices + Accent
- Separate output for each voice
- Master output
- Through-hole electronic components
- ‘Ultra-fast’ MIDI processing
- Bass Drum tune mod
- Hand Clap VCA mod
- Aluminum chassis
- Quality Alpha potentiometers
- Moog-style rotary knobs
The 8raw8 is designed to offer an accurate reproduction of the original 808’s audio circuitry.
The developers note:
Every active component on the signal path is the exact same reference as those used in the original 808. This includes: OP amps, transistors, diodes, signal ICs. At the exception of the Hand Clap VCA (orig:BA662), replaced by it’s little brother (BA6110) sounding perfect with little tweaks.
When we receive parts, we make sure they are true originals by testing them. It took ages to find the real deal.
Passive components (capacitors, resistors) come from EU stocks. They were carefully selected for their sound properties when prototyping on breadboards. Their technology, brand, tolerancy… can make a big difference when A/B testing with an original 808.
All our components are Through Hole. It means they are soldered through the mainboard, unlike modern miniaturized SMD chips (Surface Mounting Device) which have different power ratings, and sometimes are off specs compared to a Through Hole version.
Power Supply and MIDI circuits were redesigned with up-to-date components.
The 8raw8 does include two mods to the sound-generation circuitry:
- Bass Drum Tune Mod: allows you to modify the BD pitch. Adjust the BassDrum oscillator frequency in the key of your song, or create basslines using long decay settings (rather than DAW detuning). Recall standard pitch by turning off the “Mod on/off” switch.
- Hand Clap VCA Mod: From soft clicky handclap to loud harsh CLAP. Opening the VCA potentiometer in Maracas mode will create a cool white noise FX (the clap isn’t triggered anymore).
8raw8 Direct Output:
Pricing and Availability
Information on pricing and availability is TBA, no details are currently provided on the 8raw8 site.