Valhalla DSP has introduced Valhalla Supermassive, a free reverb effect for Mac & Windows that they say is designed to create”luscious clouds of reverb, otherworldly delays, swelling waves of feedback unlike any you’ve heard before.”
Valhalla DSP makes some of the most popular reverb plugins available. So why are they giving away Supermassive for free?
Valhalla’s Kristin Farr Costello says it’s a response to the times:
- “We are feeling it for everybody and we wanted to do something to help. Since we’re not essential workers, this was the best thing we had to give.
- Music is important, especially now, and it’s been hard to focus lately. We wanted to do something to make that a little easier.
- Working on Supermassive helped us deal with our own anxiety and uncertainty. It’s been good to have a big creative project to work on and keep us busy. The week before we launched, Sean finished up the work after a lot of late nights. I tried to get him to take a break and rest a bit. He roamed around listless for a few days and said, “I feel like a shark. A sad shark. Got to keep swimming or I’ll sink to the bottom of the ocean.” It’s probably best he’s already back at work on the next new thing.
- It’s been good for us to put down the news and think about space a lot. Turns out space is the place!”
Supermassive uses a variety of feedback delay networks, where each delay in the structure can be up to 2 seconds long. Combine these long delays with the unique WARP control, and the results range from echoes that slowly fade in, to cascading harmonic echoes, to lush reverbs, onwards to reverbs that decay way over the course of minutes.
- Tempo synced delays, up to 2 seconds
- Multiphase delay modulation
- DENSITY control, that allows you to dial in pointillistic echoes, lush reverbs, echo clusters, and all sorts of sounds in between.
- Eight unique delay/reverb MODES, named after celestial objects:
- Gemini: Fast attack, shorter decay, high echo density.
- Hydra: Fast-ish attack, shorter decay, low to high echo density (depending on the DENSITY control setting)
- Centaurus: Medium attack, longer decay, medium to high echo density (depending on the DENSITY control setting)
- Sagittarius: Slow attack, longer decay, high echo density
- Great Annihilator: Medium attack, very long decay, medium to high echo density (depending on the DENSITY control setting)
- Andromeda: Slowest attack, very long decay, very high echo density
- Lyra: Fast attack, shorter decay, low echo density
- Capricorn: Fast attack, shorter decay, medium echo density
- Cross-platform preset browser
Pricing and Availability
Valhalla DSP Supermassive is available now as a free download.