Liine has announced that the JazzMutant Lemur has been reborn, as a $49.99 multitouch MIDI/OSC controller app for iOS.
The announcement is something that has seemed inevitable, since we first discussed the iPad’s music applications & since the relatively inexpensive tablet killed off the hardware Lemur controller. Still, the announcement means that the Lemur – a device that was priced out of reach of many electronic musicians just a couple of years ago – is now affordable to many musicians.
Here’s the official Lemur app intro video:
The Lemur app can control DJ software, live electronic music performance software, studio production software (DAWs), VJ software, visual synthesis software and stage lighting.
We’ve got specifications, along with introductory videos and more, below.
Check out the details and let us know what you think of the new Lemur app for iPad!
Lemur Tutorial Videos
Here’s a set of tutorials that cover getting started with the Lemur app, connecting Lemur to a PC or Mac, using WiFi MIDI with Lemur, loading and editing Lemur templates, using OSC and using Lemur with USB MIDI:
- Objects - Fader; Multislider, Range; Multiball; Knob; Ring Area; Switches; Pads; Custom Button; Container; Breakpoint; Leds; LemurMenu; Monitor; SignalScope; SurfaceLCD; Text
- Physics - The behavior of many Lemur objects can be affected by powerful and easy to use physical models which can make your controller bounce, rebound and oscillate. Make your controller come alive.
- Scripting – If you’re the type who likes to get their hands dirty then there’s a powerful scripting engine inside Lemur. Harnessing this power will allow you to build extremely dynamic templates.
- Editor - The Lemur editor, is a cross-platform (OS X/Windows) interface builder. It allows you to create new Lemur templates or edit existing ones. The drag & drop interface makes it easy to use.
- Connectivity - Simply connect your iPad/iPhone to your laptop over Wi-Fi and make the connection! Lemur also supports CoreMIDI allowing you to use hardware interfaces such as Alesis’ iO Dock or the iConnectMIDI or class-compliant USB MIDI interfaces (with a camera connection kit). You can control up to 8 computers from one iPad with Lemur.
Lemur for iOS is available now in the App Store for US $49.99.