Studio Electronics today introduced the Boomstar family of synthesizers – four new analog synths, each priced at $899.
The four synths share a common 2-oscillator analog synth architecture. The synth is offered, though, with four different filter types:
- 4075-classic Arp 2600
- 5089-classic Moog 24db ladder
- SEM-classic Oberheim 12db
- 303-classic Roland TB.
SE calls the Boomstar “the ultimate desktop analog synthesizer for those who remember the electronic analog sound”.
Here’s a gallery of the synths in the Boomstar line:
Here are the full specs:
- Sturdy steel chassis, 21 metal shaft pots, 8 knob-less plastic shaft pots, 18 chrome metal toggle switches, (16 three way for expanded functionality), Through hole circuit boards, AC power adaptor
- Panel, 8.7″ wide x 7″ high, Height, 1.75″ at front, 3.25″ at back
- Discrete voltage controlled analog oscillators, filter, amplifier and envelopes. Hand matched transistors in filter and amplifier. No Curtis chips.
- Center off switch for selection of individual or combination of sine, triangle,
- saw, and square waveforms, pulse width modulation by Envelope 1 and/or software LFO.
- Two octave position sub square waveform. Bi-directional 1to2 or 2to1 oscillator sync. Five
- position octave range switch. Modulation of frequency or pulse width by Oscillator 2 with
- depth control.
- Sine, saw or square waveform. Fine tune control. Six octave range switch with LO
- frequency position. Keyboard tracking on/off switch. Modulation by Envelope 1 or Envelope 2
- with depth control. Level control.
- Level control.
- Frequency and resonance with 1/3 or full keyboard tracking. Envelope modulation control. LFO or Oscillator 2 modulation control.
- 4075-classic Arp 2600, 5089-classic Moog 24db ladder, SEM-classic Oberheim 12db, 303-classic Roland TB.
- Four-stage with attack decay, sustain, and release. Invert, loop, and drone functions. In Master mode, Envelope 2 modulates both the Filter and Amplifier for simple, one envelope operation. Envelope 1 retains modulation control of other parameters. Single or multiple triggering of attack and decay stage. Envelope 1 dynamics control.
- Two position overdrive. Volume control. Feedback control routes output back into filter and amplifier.
- Midi syncable software generated sine, triangle, saw, reverse saw, narrow, normal, and wide square, random, and slew random waveforms. Two speed delay function for LFO depth. Depth control for Oscillator 1 frequency or Oscillator 1 pulse width. Depth control for Oscillator 2 frequency or VCA level. Rate control, position determines sync division.
- Master tune, glide time, and bend range controls, midi and power indicator leds.
- VCO, VCF, VCA, and gate inputs. External audio input. Envelope 2 and osc 1&2 pre-filter output.
- Volume, glide, modwheel to LFO, bender and dynamics. In, out and thru jacks.