Akai Professional debuted its new BT-500 audiophile belt- drive turntable today at the 2016 NAMM Show.
Company officials say the turntable is their response “to the rapidly growing demand for high-performance turntables in the resurgent vinyl market.” They tout the BT-500 as a good match for the record enthusiast who wants “a unit with no-compromise audiophile performance and luxurious, elegant styling.”
The BT-500 offers a combination of modern digital technology and convenience features: The BT-500 is a wireless streaming turntable, so it can send the turntable’s signal to any Bluetooth speaker (not included). The turntable has a built-in, switchable phono pre-amp, so it can be used either with a traditional stereo or connected directly to powered speakers. The BT-500 also has the capability to convert analog records into digital files with its included on-board software and USB port for quick connection to any computer.
As a turntable, the BT-500 has a quiet belt-drive system with a mechanically-isolated motor that eliminates any residual motor noise and vibration, a heavy die-cast aluminum platter that ensures an exemplary signal-to-noise ratio, a drive system with “vanishingly low wow and flutter,” and a low-mass straight tonearm with precision damped cueing. The unique leveling bubble with adjustable feet ensures a perfectly level installation for optimum sound. A high-quality pre- mounted magnetic cartridge completes the package.
BT-500 Turntable Features:
- Isolated DC motor and belt-drive system ensures silent operation
- Die-cast anti-resonance aluminum platter with heavy non-slip rubber mat
- Low-mass tonearm with precision damped cueing
- Built-in switchable phono pre-amp for use with powered speakers
- Streams music wirelessly to any Bluetooth speaker (speaker not inc’l)
- Converts vinyl records into digital files via USB connection to computer
- Selectable sampling rate: 44.1kHz or 48kHz
- 1/8” headphone jack; gold-plated RCA jacks for optimum signal transfer
- Unique leveling bubble and adjustable feet keeps unit perfectly level
- Heavy MDF base minimizes vibration to eliminate acoustic feedback
- Includes dual moving magnet cartridge and removable headshell
- 2-speeds: 33 1/3 and 45 RPM
- Includes 45 RPM adapter, USB cable, audio cable and AC adapter
- Luxurious walnut finish with brushed aluminum controls
Pricing and Availability. Akai Professional’s BT-500 turntable will have a U.S. retail of $399.99, and will be available beginning Q2 2016. More information available at the Akai Pro website.