Filmmaker John Carpenter is best known for directing films like Halloween, The Thing and Big Trouble In Little China.
But he’s also responsible for the synth-heavy soundtracks of these films, and helping to define a classic style of horror and sci film scoring.
In this video, host Justin DeLay demonstrates how to recreate three classic Carpenter themes, using synthesizers of the day.
0:00 – Intro
1:04 – “Halloween” Main Piano Theme
3:04 – “Halloween” Pads, Drums
4:45 – John Carpenter’s Synthesizers
5:55 – “The Fog” Theme on Juno 106
9:00 – “The Fog” Pads and Bass on Moog and Prophet
10:55 – “Assault on Precinct 13” Theme
13:30 – The Shape Closes In on Mr. DeLay
- Ensoniq ESQ-1: http://bit.ly/2eRPcAX
- Roland Juno 106: http://bit.ly/2bORcHQ
- Sequential Circuits Prophet 5: http://bit.ly/2bPIooc
- MiniMoog Model D: http://bit.ly/2bD3ClM
- Ableton Live: http://bit.ly/2coU2Zo
- Roland 606: http://bit.ly/2dX7wtE
You can download a John Carpenter MIDI clip pack at the Reverb site.