The CV.OCD is a device which converts MIDI signals to the Control Voltage (CV) and Trigger/Gate signals, which can be used to control traditional analog synthesizers and modular synthesizers.
As well as doing this useful bit of “plumbing”, CV.OCD is designed to open up some creative options that go beyond what a simple MIDI-CV converter can usually do.
CV.OCD has four assignable “continuous” analog CV outputs and twelve assignable gate/trigger outputs.
It has powerful functionality for generating clock, trigger and non-note gates from MIDI information.
Each of the FOUR analog CV outputs have 0-8V output level and 12-bit resolution and be assigned to any of:
- Note pitch (1V/octave)
- Note velocity
- Controllers (CC)
- Pitch bend
- Channel aftertouch
- Fixed voltage
Each of the 12 gate outputs has 5V output level and can be assigned to any of:
- Note on/off
- Note velocity above threshold
- Controller (CC) crossing threshold
- MIDI clock (with divider/offset and transport gate)
- MIDI transport states/events (start/stop/running etc)
CV.OCD allows to group pitch and gate outputs to achieve configurations like:
- Play up to four monosynths together like a single polysynth by playing chords on a single MIDI channel
- Play multiple synths cyclically with consecutive notes going to different synths
- Implement keyboard splits to control bass and lead synths in different ranges of same keyboard
With the 12 gates you can:
- Map specific MIDI notes to specific gate outputs for triggering drum machines etc,
- Apply velocity threshold to get an accent trigger based on the MIDI velocity or trigger different gates depending on velocity
- Output divided and offset pulse clocks to mess with time itself.
The device is configured by MIDI system exclusive patches, which you can create using a web based configuration page. Onces installed on the device, the patch is saved during power cycles.
CV.OCD has a standard 5-pin DIN MIDI input with optical isolation. There is also a 3.5mm stereo jack MIDI input which is compatible with Novation, Arturia and other devices which use a “hot tip” configuration (For Korg devices you need to use the 5-pin input). Only one of the MIDI inputs may be used at a time.
Pricing and Availability
CV.OCD is available now for US $95 plus shipping.